nav image
nav image nav image nav image
nav image nav image

 

 


 

Schilling History

 

 

 

How many Schillings were there?

Schilling (Alt-Schilling)

The mother colony, founded on August 14, 1764 is located south-southwest of Sartatov. It was later known as Alt-Schilling, meaning Old Schilling. The Russian name for the village was Sosnowka. It was located in the Balzer District or Kanton. This village was one of the 104 villages founded by the immigrants of 1764 - 1767 in the middle Volga region near the city of Saratov.
Church: Lutheran
Population: In 1764, the village consisted of 95 families, 215 male and 214 female inhabitants. Later population counts: 1772 (429), 1857 (1966), 1897 (3245), circa 1905 (3351), 1912 (3564), 1926 (2771).
Location: It is located in quadrant C-4 of Karl Stumpf's map of the Volga German villages (available from AHSGR). See Map 1 on the maps page.

Church: Schilling, church records exist from the founding of the village until the early 1900's, and are located at the Russian Archives in Engels.
Primary Parish: Beideck

Neu-Schilling or Alexandertal

A daughter colony, founded in 1853. The Russian name for the village was Neu-Sosnowka, and it was located in the Kamenka District south of Kraft, and west of Drespitz, by people from Schilling, Grimm and Norka..
Church: Lutheran, at Rosenberg
Population: circa 1905 (956), 1912 (1010), 1926 (728)
Location: It was located about 169 kilometers (105 miles) south-southwest of Saratov, and is located in quadrant B-7 of Karl Stumpf's map. On the present day Saratov map on the maps page, the village was located north of Volgograd, near Ilovja. See Map 3 on the maps page.
Primary Parish: Rosenberg.

Church records: located at the Russian Archives in Volgagrad. Birth records are availbel for 1901-1902, death records for 1904, and marriage records for 1894-1895 and 1905.
Click here to visit Dick Kraus' Alexandertal web pages

Neu-Schilling I

A daughter colony, founded in 1855. There was no Russian name for the village, and it was located in the Krasny-Kut District. The people all came from Schilling.
Current Russian name: Krasnokutskii rayon
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1897(665), circa 1905 (916), 1912 (1084), 1926 (899).
Location: It was located about 153 kilometers (95 miles) southeast of Saratov, and is located near Maifeld in quadrant F-6 of Karl Stumpf's map, and is seen in Map 4.
Primary church: Friedenfeld, near Krazny-Kut
Church records:The records are in the Russian Archives in Saratov. Birth records exist for 1871 - 1921, and death records for 1901 - 1921.

Neu-Schilling II

A daughter colony, founded date unknown. There was no Russian name for the village, and it was in the Krasny-Kut District. The people all came from Schilling.
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1912 (916).
Location: It was located about 39 kilometers southeast of Krasny-Kut, and is located near Neufeld in quadrant F-6 of Karl Stumpf's map, and is seen in Map 4.
Primary church: Friedenfeld, near Krazny-Kut.
Church records: See Neu-Schilling I.

Schilling and Konstantinovka

A daughter colony, founded in 1859. It was also called Kopenka and Kottschetnoje, and was in the Krasny-Kut District. It was founded by families from Schilling, Moor, Jost, Doenhof, Kutter and Merkel.
Church: Lutheran
Population (Konstantinowka): 1912 (217)
Population (Schilling): 1857 (211), 1897 (822), circa 1905 (1649), 1912 (1796)
Location: It was located about 129 kilometers (80 miles) southeast of Saratov, and is located in quadrant F-5 of Karl Stumpf's map. See Map 2 on the maps page.
Note: Although these villages are shown as different locations with separate population counts, residents of this area apparantly considered them to be one village and used the names interchangeably.
Primary Parish: Hoffental
Church records: The location of the church records is the Russian Archives in Saratov.

Schilling

A daughter colony, founded in 1895. It was also called Sosnowka, and was located in the Omsk District. This village was part of the Siberian Colonies which were located to the north of Akmolinsk. More than 200 German colonies were founded in this area, starting in 1893.
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1912 (916).
Location: Omsk is located about 1000 kilometers (620 miles) northeast of Saratov. The present day view of this area can be seen in Map 6.

Neu Beideck

A daughter colony of Beideck, was founded in part by 128 Schilling residents in 1859. Schilling residents often married into families from Beideck, and so there is a close connection between these two villages.
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1912 (972), 1926 (517).
Location: It was located about 23 kilometers southwest of Krasny-Kut, and is located west of Eckheim in quadrant E5 of Karl Stumpf's map.
Primary church: Most likely Friedenfeld, near Krazny-Kut.
Church records: The location of the records is unknown.

Hoffental

A daughter colony founded in 1859 by people from Beideck, Frank, Grimm, Hussenbach, Kolb, Norka, Schilling, and Walter
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1912 (1511), 1926 (782).
Location: Located 20 kilometers northeast of Krazny-Kut, on the Jeruslan River beyond Konstantinovka, in quadrant F$ of Karl Stumpf's map.
Primary church: Hoffental.
Church records: The location of the ecords is unknown..

Gnadenfeld

A daughter colony founded in 1855 by people from Schilling, Balzer, Moor, Dönhof, Grimm, Norka, and Schwab.
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1897 (1077), 1912 (1968), 1926 (1521).
Location: Located 24 kilometers southwest of Krazny-Kut, near Neu Beideck, in quadrant E5 of Karl Stumpf's map.
Primary church: Hoffental.
Church records: The location of the records is unknown.

Brunnental

A daughter colony founded in 1855 by people from Schilling, Norka, Kolb, Walter, Pobochnaya, and Frank.
Church: Lutheran
Population: 1859 (547), 1897 (2493), 1910 (4653), 1926 (2705).
Location: Located 35 kilometers southwest of Krazny-Kut, in quadrant D5 of Karl Stumpf's map.
Primary church: Brunnental.
Church records: The location of the ecords is unknown.

 

HomeInfo/ResourcesImages Today HistoryTop of This Page